Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Now I have more than one Life!

Well, I've done it again. Found a new computer related addiction.

At the urging of a friend I went ahead and joined Second Life. I'm sure you've heard all the hype and rumors. Various illegal and immoral activities abound every where you turn, right? Wrong!

Yes, there are some of the things that have been talked about, or so I've heard. I've seen some strange things, but I haven't set out to find where the really strange things are.

So far I have found Second Life to be exactly what it claims to be. A virtual life created by the people that live there. It gives you the opportunity to create yourself from the beginning to be exactly who you want to be. You can buy items with their virtual money to change your appearance, clothing, and more. You can buy your own land or rent and put up a dwelling you can furnish with your own virtual belongings.

What intrigues me the most is the ability to create and script your own items that you can then use in the world. Needless to say I have been trying to learn the scripting language as well as what is involved in actually creating the items for the world. (It helps that this would be a fantastic way to earn in game money!)

The best way that I can describe this world is that is is the Sims all grown up without the censor boxes. Even that doesn't do it justice, but it's the closest that comes to mind. It's a world that's limited by the creativity and innovation of the minds that inhabit it.

If anyone is interested in joining me, please feel free to go to Second Life and create an account. Let them know that Merydithe Tepper referred you so I can get credit please. If you want, please feel free to look me up once you log on. I'm always on the lookout for new friends.

No comments: